|MALI-FOLKECENTER for Renewable Energy|
Representation of the Danish Folkecenter for Renewable Energy in Mali
REPUBLIC OF MALI
T +223 200 617. F +223 200 618
Authorisation No. 0388/MATS-DNAT
Account No. 06700-100024-000-18
FOR RENEWABLE ENERGY
Mali-Folkecenter has established important contacts with government institutions, International Development Agencies, local and international NGOs, and perhaps most importantly with the local rural population. These contacts are rapidly growing into a productive network. Since we obtained our authorization to work in Mali as an NGO in October 1999, Mali Folkecenter has obtained funding for 2 projects from UNDP and GTZ (German cooperation).
Since 1986, the Danish Folkecenter for Renewable Energy has performed renewable energy development projects with inhabitants of African rural districts as target groups. Projects have been in Zambia, Mauritania, Gambia, Ghana and Nigeria. Technologies adapted for developing countries have been practiced at the Folkecenter in Denmark since the early 1980's, and the technical and practical experience of Folkecenter is considerable.
As a continuation of this work, a Folkecenter team visited Mali in 1998 following an invitation from the Malian President, Alpha Oumar Konare. During the meeting with the Folkecenter team, the President explained the government priority in the areas of education, health, and water supply. Folkecenter opened the Mali Folkecenter in July 1999. The Mali Folkecenter is an independent NGO, cooperating with the government and other NGOs to promote sustainable development in the rural areas of Mali and other West African countries.
The Mali-Folkecenter now has a competent team for implmentation of a wide variety of development projects, with expertise in environmental saving technology, management of natural resources, rural electrification by solar energy and household biogas technology. Prioritised activities
- SOLAR HEATING AND PHOTOVOLTAIC SYSTEMS
- WIND ENERGY
- HOUSEHOLD BIOGAS INSTALLATIONS
- EFFICIENT WOOD STOVES
- PLANT OIL TECHNOLOGY
- ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AND MANAGEMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES
- TRAINING AND INFORMATION
CONTACTS & PARTNERS
The Mali-Folkecenter has established contacts with the Government of Mali (Ministry of Energy, Ministry of Environment, Ministry of Rural Development and Water). We also have the support of the Presidency of Mali.
In the research field, the Mali-Folkecenter is in contact with the University of Mali (the Department of Biotechnology for the treatment of the solid wastes by organic fermentation for biogas production), and with the Polytechnic Rural Institute (for the development of digester for dry fermentation for biogas production). The Mali-Folkecenter has also established partnership with small enterprises working in the field of environmental protection technology: SENAGRI (treatment of the agricultural wastes), and SANIYA (collect of urban wastes).
Mali-Folkecenter is a member of the Committee of Coordination of NGO Action in Mali (CCA NGOs). Contacts were established with local NGOs. We have participated in several seminars and workshops on renewable energy and environmental saving technologies.
- In October 1999, the Malian Minister of Energy and Mines, Prof. Yoro Diakite visited Folkecenter in Denmark, by invitation of Folkecenter. Future tasks of the Mali Folkecenter were discussed, and a firm basis for copperation was established.
- Mali-Folkecenter installed a 75W solar panel (PV) for the electrification of the school in the village of Tabakoro. It provides lighting for evening classes in adult literacy, and was a donation from the Danish Folkecenter.
- Mali-Folkecenter has trained the rural municipalities of Sanankoroba (35 km from Bamako) and Dialakoroba (55 km from Bamako) in environmental legislation and techniques for management of natural resources.
- Mali-Folkecenter is now constructing 5 household biogas plants in the area around Bamako. After completion of this test phase, the results will be disseminated to several other villages.
- A feasibility study is currently underway to draw up a comprehensive environmental plan for several rural municipalities. This should lead to coordination of a range of environmental saving projects.
For further information, please contact us in Mali or in Denmark.
REPUBLIC OF MALI
Tel: +223 200617
Fax: +223 200618
Information and Training Program
The Danish Folkecenter for Renewable Energy
Tel: +45 9795 6600
Fax: +45 9795 6565