Re: UK Database Directive implementation

Subject: Re: UK Database Directive implementation
From: Barbara Schleihagen (eblida@nblc.nl)
Date: pe 28 marras 1997 - 10:03:57 EET

Dear Sandy,

Below please find the wording in the German Information and Communication
Services Act:

§ 87c: Limitations on the Rights of the Maker of a Database:

(1) The reproduction of a qualitatively or quantitatively substantial part
of a database shall be permissible:
1. for private use; this shall not apply to a database the elements of
which are individually accessible by electronic means;
2. for the purposes of personal scientific use, if and to the extent that
the copying for this purpose is necessary and the scientific use does not
serve commercial purposes;
3. for personal use in teaching, in non-commercial institutions of
education and further education and in vocational training in a quantity
required for one school class.

Best wishes,
Barbara

At 14:42 25-11-97 -0000, you wrote:
>Dear colleagues
>The UK final draft of the legislation to implement the Database
>Directive is now published. I am now looking at it carefully with a
>view to issuing some guidance. However, there is still that phrase
>contained within on extraction of a substantial part by a lawful user
>"for the purposes of illustration for teaching and research" which is
>totally unhelpful when it comes to interpretation and giving examples.
>If the word "illustration" is removed it makes sense but not when it
>remains. Has anyone or does anyone wish to hazard a guess as to
>exactly what this means? Stuart Booth at the UK Patent Office
>indicated that library uses could be covered by this as it could be
>interpreted broadly but I fail to see this. I think we should assume
>that it is broad until challenged but I would like more evidence.
>
>How is this being interpreted in other EEA member states?
>
>Thanks
>
>Sandy Norman
>Information Manager (Legal and Parliamentary)
>Information Services
>The Library Association
>7 Ridgmount Street
>London WC1E 7AE