Re: Directive on lending right

Subject: Re: Directive on lending right
sort_josep@bibl.upf.es
Date: ti 03 syys   1996 - 18:22:33 EEST

Item Subject: Texto de mensaje

Emmanuella Giavarra asked on the functioning of the EU Directive on rental
and lending rights in each european country.

This is the Spanish situation: this Directive was adopted by the Spanish
legislation on December 30th of 1994 (Law 43/94), two years after the
european directive was approved.

As far as I know, I haven't heard nothing rellevant from the spanish library
community regarding this adoption.

Re to libraries, our national law forsees the following exceptions: no need
to have permission to lend and, no payment of remuneration for those
lendings that take place in spanish libraries that have at least one of the
following characteristics:

 a) funded by government bodies (state, regional, local,...);
or,
 b) belong to bodies with a cultural, scientific or educational general
    interest without a profit aim;
or,
 c) belong to any educational body integrated into the spanish educational
system.

Deputy Librarian Fax: +34-3-542.16.86
Universitat Pompeu Fabra sort_josep@bibl.upf.es
Balmes, 132