Re: Implementation of the EU Lending Directive

Subject: Re: Implementation of the EU Lending Directive
From: Angelique Mattioli (library.ipg@mail.interpac.be)
Date: ti 27 elo    1996 - 15:42:33 EEST

At 17:47 24/08/96 -0700, you wrote:
>Emanuella Giavarra asked about the situation of implementation of the Directive
>of Rental and Lending Rights.
>

>This directive has been implemented in Finland, too (1.5.1995). The Finnish
Copyright
>Law has been changed according to this directive, but from the point of
view of the
>library lending the change has so far been more or less cosmetic.
>
>Our Copyright Law now gives the rightowners the right to get remuneration
for the
>lending of their products to public. This right has, however, been limited
by the
>following exception (a free translation): "There is no right for
remuneration, if the
>lending takes place in a public library, research library or educational
library."

>This exception has ment that our library activities have continued as
usually. Any
>other solution would have been disastrous both for the state and library
budgets.

>Heikki Poroila
>Vantaa City Library
>Secretary of the Finnish Libraries' Working Group on Copyright
>e-mail poroila@kaapeli.fi

I (and many colleagues) would like that exception to be in Belgian right.
And Belgium is still waiting for complements of law (arretes d'applications) to
use the new law in every day life. So nothing has really changed til now for
Belgian libraries.

Angelique Mattioli
Medical Librarian & Public Librarian
Secretary - Association professionnelle des bibliothecaires-documentaliste.

Angelique Mattioli,
Library/Bibliotheque,
INSTITUT DE PATHOLOGIE ET DE GENETIQUE,
allee des Templiers, 41,