Seuran toiminta | Puhekupla | Arkisto

[puhekupla] FW: Sunburn ...not Sunburn

From: Maria Björklund (maria.bjorklund@pp.inet.fi)
Date: 28.05.2001 - 20:26:26

Ohessa viesti kanadalaisen Sunburn-piensarjakuva-antologian toimittajalta
Karl Thomsenilta. Sen lukenevat ne joita kiinnostavat pienlehdet,
erityisesti niihin osallistuminen omilla sarjoillaan.

t. Maria :c))

-------------

Greetings, and a long overdue hello to many of you! It's probably been a
while since you've heard from me in regards to all things Sunburn, and
there is much to catch up on - including the demise of Sunburn itself. Read
on...

After numerous delays Sunburn 15 (Beyond Words 2) was finally completed
late last year! I got copies of the issue out to all the regular locations,
I just didn't get the word out to everyone. A thousand pardons. In case you
missed it, here's the scoop.

Inspired by the positive response I received to the initial Beyond Words
silent comix edition, I decided to devote another entire issue to silent
comics from around the world. Featured inside this edition is another
wonderfully tasty sampling of wordless underground comics from Canada, USA,
Australia, Netherlands, Belgium, Yugoslavia, Slovenia & Macedonia. Funky
cover art was supplied and hand colored by the mystical hands of Robert
Pasternak. A special introduction has once again been provided by David
Beronä, with his continuing comments on the power of wordless comics and
how they have affected him. A strong presence of silent European comic
talent has flavoured this diverse mix: Sasha Mihajlowich, Zlatko Krstevski,
Reindeer Dijkhuis and Patrick Heymans are back for more while Ikar Volodya,
Andrej Stular and Vulovic Nikola join in the fun. Joining in the mayhem
from North America were Brad Yung, Nathan Thrailkill, Carrie McNinch, Jim
Siergey & Tom Roberts while Neale Blanden from down under adds in his own
unique perspective.

Although the current issue Sunburn #16 is behind schedule, I hope to have
this issue completed by early June 2001. I've got more than enough material
for the issue, I just have to pull it all together. And hey - there's
finally going to be another letters page!

Unfortunately, I have found my motivation for doing Sunburn waning. I have
decided that issue #17 will be Sunburn's final issue. It's been fun, but
it's just become too much for me too handle. Looking back over the past 6
years, it's amazing to see how far Sunburn has mutated. I am very thankful
for everyone's help - your support has been much appreciated! I still
firmly believe that there is an abundance of underground comic talent
happening out there - I just wish there were more outlets out there for
them to happen in.

And now, a call for submissions! In celebration of it's demise, Sunburn #17
will feature the theme of death. Okay, so the theme of death sounds rather
morbid, but it's an element of life that affects us all. Just think of it
as just another Halloween flavoured issue. Sad, happy, spooky, or
whatever. If you'd like to add something to all the mayhem, please send it
along! Everyone is welcome to submit comix and illustrations to help fill
it's pages. This is your last chance! At the moment I don't have any cover
artwork for this issue, so if you'd like to take up the challenge, drop me
a line. Deadline for all submissions is September 15!

As always, each edition of Sunburn will continue to feature an updated
Zinehead insert which includes a resource listing of international small
press comic anthologies and zine review zines.

-- --

Please excuse this mass mailing - it's the easiest way to get in touch with
everyone. This will be the last update you'll receive email in regards to
Sunburn. From now on all you'll have to do to find out the latest info on
Sunburn is to check out the Sunburn Web Site (www.escape.ca/~mosfog) - just
check out the "Sunburn What's Up." What's that? Yeah, yeah... I know. But
the web site has just been updated, and I plan to update on a more regular
basis. If you still wish to be contacted via email with the regular updates
on Sunburn, just let me know.

-- --

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to drop me a line. Cheers!

Karl Thomsen
Editor/Publisher/Janitor
P.O. Box 2061, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, R3C 3R4, Planet Earth
mosfog@escape.ca * http://www.escape.ca/~mosfog

S u o m e n S a r j a k u v a s e u r a n S ä h k ö i s e t S i v u t
pääsivu