Copyright in Higher Education Workgroup

Subject: Copyright in Higher Education Workgroup
From: Alan Story (a.c.story@ukc.ac.uk)
Date: ti 15 helmi  2000 - 19:14:48 EET

TO: The E-cup list

Something that we think will be of interest to the E-cup
discussion list.

ANNOUNCEMENT - APOLOGIES FOR CROSS POSTINGS

As many of you are aware, there are a growing number of
problems in the access to and use of teaching materials in
higher education (and further education) in the United
Kingdom. In particular, restrictive conceptions of
copyright and the privileging of the interests of
publishers have led to the replacement of traditional
copyright notions of "fair dealing" with expensive and
cumbersome user-pay turnstiles.

To bring these issues to the attention of all members of
the academic community and to work for reform of the
current regime, a new group, the Copyright in Higher
Education Workgroup (CHEW) has recently been formed.

Our first project has been to establish a website that
focuses on a range of copyright issues in education. This
site includes the results of a recent survey about the
effects of the Higher Education Copying Accord (HECA) on
teaching and learning in UK universities and puts
forward various analyses of HECA. CHEW's first campaign is
directed at the reform /repeal of HECA when it expires in
January 2001.

The website's URL is:
http://www.law.warwick.ac.uk/ncle/Copyright/

We are also interested in recognising the "good practice"
efforts of some academic journals that allow non-profit
educational photocopying under an "open licence" system.
The website gives examples of such journals and welcomes
your own suggested additions.

The site was created with the assistance of the United
Kingdom Centre for Legal Education (UKCLE) at the
University of Warwick with whom CHEW is affiliated.

To encourage discussion and debate over copyright issues in
education, CHEW has also established a Mailbase discussion
list entitled "Copyrights." The list and archives of past
messages are accessible from the above website. You can
also send a message to the list by e-mailing:
copyrights@mailbase.ac.uk

The website of "Copyrights " is:
http://www.mailbase.ac.uk/lists/copyrights/

Although the initial members of CHEW are UK legal
academics, the group wants to address copyright issues in
other disciplines and work with those individuals and
groups interested in reform. Our main focus at present is
on the problems that have been created for the provision of
course (study) packs and the operation of Library short
loan (reserve) collections.

We are also interested in hearing from academic colleagues
in other countries who may face their own copyright-related
issues.

Those individuals and groups who maintain copyright-related
websites are welcome to add a link between their own site
and CHEW's site. We would like to be informed if you insert
such a link…and we will reciprocate. CHEW itself can be
contacted by e-mail at: s.l.fury@warwick.ac.uk specifying
CHEW in the subject line.

We welcome your comments and criticisms. And we also
welcome new members.

Alan Story
Kent Law School
Canterbury Kent
For the Copyright in Higher Education Workgroup (CHEW)

Alan Story
Kent Law School
Eliot College
University of Kent