Re: Copyright: keep or assign to publishers

Subject: Re: Copyright: keep or assign to publishers
From: Eamon Fennessy (efennessy@worldnet.att.net)
Date: ti 21 syys   1999 - 16:47:46 EEST

Barbara and Denise:

Our experience in the STM (Scientific, Technical & Medical) publishing
community is that authors who want wide dissemination of their works and the
added value contributed by publishers are more than happy to exchange their
copyright for that added value. Some authors feel the exchange is not worth
it and espouse retaining ownership.

No one can expect to make blanket pronouncements that all authors want the
responsibilities of continuing ownership while they seek publication in
respected journals. What it comes down to is that individual authors will
continue to make decisions based on their own situations and publishers will
continue to provide value added services to authors who wish to transfer
copyright. This is not rocket science. Eamon T. Fennessy, Chairman & CEO

The Copyright Group
P.O. Box 5496
Beverly Farms, MA 01915
USA