Re: I: REVISION OF COPYRIGHT REGULATIONS

Subject: Re: I: REVISION OF COPYRIGHT REGULATIONS
From: Fred Friend (ucylfjf@ucl.ac.uk)
Date: ke 17 helmi  1999 - 09:37:39 EET

Dear Marco,

Thank you for your message. My advice would be that the
South African changes to copyright law are NOT a good example for libraries
in Italy to follow, and I suspect that the South African librarians would
agree with that. I understand that they have quite a fight on their hands
to protect the interests of library users. Within Europe you will find a
good example of agreement between publishers and librarians for UK
academic libraries in the Fair Dealing and Model Licence agreements between
JISC and the Publishers' Association. If you start with the JISC Web site
www.jisc.ac.uk, you will find information on the discussions between JISC
and the PA and that will lead you to the text of the relevant documents.
The main problem we have in Europe, as you may be aware, is with the draft
Copyright Directive from the European Commission, which is against the
interests of library users and which threatens to undermine any good
agreements we can achieve within our own countries.

Fred Friend

At 11:50 16/02/99 +0200, Melloni wrote:
>Dear collegue
>I have read the "REVISION OF COPYRIGHT REGULATIONS" and i find it very
>interesting for us all "HEADS OF LIBRARIES AND HEADS OF INTERLENDING
>SECTIONS" because this are the situations in which we are involved:
>copy for student, professors and research people, given directly to the
>person, or sent to them, or to other library.
>How can we make this regulation accepted in our country ?
>Marco.melloni@cselt.it
>t +39.011.2285253
>f +390112285095
>v. reiss-pomoli 274 I-10148 Torino Italy

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Frederick J.Friend,
Director Scholarly Communication,
c/o Graduate School,
Wilkins Building,
University College London,
Gower Street,
London WC1E 6BT,
England.
Telephone +44 171 380 7090
Fax +44 171 380 7043
E-mail ucylfjf@ucl.ac.uk or f.friend@ucl.ac.uk
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx