WIPO ecommerce conference

Subject: WIPO ecommerce conference
From: Teresa Hackett (eblida@nblc.nl)
Date: Thu 27 Sep 2001 - 19:08:14 EEST

To CELIP Steering Group, for information

I was the only library representative at the WIPO ecommerce
conference last week in Geneva, which was well worth attending.
Many publishers and rightowners were there and some of them
mentioned libraries during their presentations. It is essential that
we are there to present our views in an international forum, as well
as listening, and responding, to what is being said about us!
Highlights were an excellant workshop on rights management,
libraries and the international DOI forum and presentation of a new
.museum domain name. I will do a fuller report on the conference
later. Here are the main points of my discussion with Mr Reinbothe
(over a glass of wine):
-Report on the national implementation of the database Directive is
*really* almost complete.
-JR chaired the workshop on rights management, and spoke about
the three pillars of copyright as follows: 1. rights and exceptions 2.
enforcement 3. management. The Commission evaluation on the
management of copyright will soon be completed. It is not yet
decided if it will take the form of a Communication (a
recommendation to MS) or a Directive (mandatory for MS).
-The next Commission copyright conference will be in Madrid
during the Spanish Presidency (Jan-June 2002). EBLIDA will
receive an invitation. I urged him to have a balanced speaker panel,
because the perception is that the conferences are rightholder
biased.
-JR is happy to meet us anytime and for the Commission to provide
input to any implementation workshop we might wish to hold.

Best wishes
Teresa
27/9/2001

Teresa Hackett, Director