Firs workshop successful - hints

Subject: Firs workshop successful - hints
From: Tuula Haavisto (tuulah@kaapeli.fi)
Date: Wed 25 Apr 2001 - 13:17:52 EEST

Dear colleagues,

The first CELIP workshop has been held in Bucharest, and I can very
proudly tell: is was really successful. Mircea had done an extra good
work! There were ca. 70 participants, and all the general arrangements
incl. the numerous translations and interpretation, lunch etc. worked so
well. Even 40 evaluation forms were returned, and the feed back was very
encouraging. Average points to general arrangements were 3,7 when the
maximum was 4.

There were two guest stars. Concha Fernandez de la Puente wanted to visit
one of the workshops, and she was along in Bucharest. She made a very good
presentation about the European Commission support programmes, especially
on the IST programme, from which the CELIP financing comes. The German
guest, Ulrich Korwitz, director of the Central Medical Library in Cologne,
was invited by the Goethe Institute, which offered the venue for the
workshop. He was an extraordinary speaker, and told about the concrete
experiences from the Nordrhine-Westphalen consortia where his library is a
member. It completed extremely well on the programme.

There were some matters, which I want to share with you for your own
workshop planning:
- ABOUT THE PRESENTATION OF THE NATIONAL CONTRACT LAW: it is really a
necessary part of the programme, but the reason might be unknown to the
lecturer. Lawyers do not know for which purpose libraries need this
information - that libraries do electronic business, is a new information
for most them. You could maybe hint the speaker to concentrate on the
sell/buy contracts, although the general presentation and different sorts
of contracts can be presented as a framework. One possibility is to
present to the speaker the preliminary CELIP report on Licensing and
libraries in the CEE countries, the draft of which I will send to you
tomorrow, I hope. Maybe it can help them to see the point of the
presentation.
- About the GUEST STARS: depending on your workshop time table etc., there
might be an idea to ask
        - somebody from the Representation of the European Commission to tell
about the programmes of the European Commission; ask me about more
detailed recommendations, if you want to include something like this into
your programme.
- some active member of a library consortia abroad to tell about his/her
own experiences; luckily, the next workshop in Vilnius will have an
American guest, because it will be held in the America Centre. The
financing of this kind of visit is of course the problem, but if you can
find some way or some organisation to pay for the travels, this is a good
alternative.
- about the TRANSPARENCIES - according to this experience, I have to
re-write some of them slightly, and add some more. This is why they will
not be on the CELIP web site immediately.
- clear footprints of the CECUP workshop could heard in the discussion:
librarians debated lively also on copyright matters, and on a much more
concrete level than in 1999 - I think this indicates the raise of
awareness in copyright matters. This means, CECUP really reached its
goals, which of course makes me very pleased.

I have the same victorious feeling I had after the first CECUP workshop
which was held in Vilnius. I am sure this is a good sign indicating more
successful workshops!

Yours,

Tuula

Ö*/*Ö*/*Ö*/*Ö*/*Ö*/*Ö*/*Ö*/*Ö*/*Ö*/*Ö*/*Ö/*Ö*/*Ö*/*Ö*/*Ö*/*Ö*/

Tuula Haavisto (Ms.)
Project Manager
CELIP www.eblida.org/celip/
(Central and Eastern European Licensing Information Platform)

e-mail tuulah@kaapeli.fi c/o e-Office
mobile tel. +358 - 40 - 568 9396 (earlier Virtual Office)
In Finland 040 - 568 9396 4. Linja 24
faxes: +358 - 9 - 7289 6050 FIN-00530 Helsinki
and 7289 5060 Finland