"NEAR"

Subject: "NEAR"
From: Peter Kibby (Peter.Kibby@tfpl.com)
Date: ti 28 syys   1999 - 19:13:27 EEST

4.0.993.5
Sender: owner-ecup-list

Jeremy Rees asked for a reference to NEAR. Perhaps he means the National
Electronic Article Repository proposed by David E. Shulenburger
(Provost, University of Kansas), in Moving With Dispatch to Resolve the
Scholarly Communication Crisis: From Here to NEAR, which can be found at
http://www.arl.org/arl/proceedings/133/shulenburger.html.

By its nature it's a US proposal, and focuses the ownership of work on
funders/employers rather than its authors/employees. I know of no
equivalent elsewhere. The renewed interest in the ownership of IP by the
funders, however, is paralleled by the proposal by Caltech and others to
create the Scholar's Forum
(http://library.caltech.edu/publications/scholarsforum/), and the
anxiety of many authors about the role of the NIH in PubMed Central
(E-Biomed) -- which unlike the others is not just a proposal.

Peter