RE: can anyone help me with copyright info?

Subject: RE: can anyone help me with copyright info?
From: Graham Coult (graham.coult@aslib.co.uk)
Date: to 22 huhti  1999 - 14:04:14 EEST

I've made some comments below.

Best wishes,

Graham

Graham Coult
Editor, Managing Information
Visiting Lecturer, Information Policy. University of North London.

ASLIB, The Association for Information Management
Staple Hall
Stone House Court
London
EC3A 7PB

Tel 0171 903 0000 Direct Line 0171 903 0015
Fax 0171 903 0011

email: graham.coult@aslib.co.uk

http://www.aslib.co.uk

>----------

Have you contacted the Art Libraries Group? The email contact I have is
sfrench@arlis.demon.co.uk

> I would be grateful if you could give me your views on this
>matter.
>
>I also understand after talking to my own university copyright
>clearance
>officer- Linda Purdy that a European Directive on copyright is being
>considered at the moment. She explained to me that various
>organisations
>including SCONUL and EBLIDA are worried about this new Directive and
>are
>actively
>lobbying it.. It sounded to me like the European Parliament were
>panicking and considering action when they do not fully understand it,
>is
>this true?
>I would be grateful if you could explain to me the effect this
>Directive may have on the artistic works, the creators, galleries and
>visual resource
>libraries. Perhaps more importantly the effect it may have on
>libraries
>and library users.
>Aswell as the overall effect of this directive and the latest
>developments.

You could email Barbara Schleihagen, Eblida's Copyright Spokesperson,
and try to get an 'interview'. Her email address is eblida.nblc.nl.

Also try the Copyright Licensing Agency (cla@cla.co.uk).

>I would be extremely grateful if you could help me
>Thank You

Be brave and ask some definite questions! There is a danger that if you
ask very open questions, people will think that you want then to do your
work for you (I say that as a lecturer myself). The key skills you learn
on an academic course is the ability to gather information and analyse.
That is what will help you survive in the outside world. Have faith in
yourself, and be adventurous!

Best wishes,

Graham.