Re: EU copyright exceptions

Subject: Re: EU copyright exceptions
From: Fred Friend (ucylfjf@ucl.ac.uk)
Date: to 17 huhti  1997 - 15:07:59 EEST

I am not sure if members of the ecup list know of the discussions we have
been having in the UK on the definition of fair dealing in electronic
publications. These discussions are relevant to the "new rights for users"
Emanuella Giavarra asks about in this message. The results of the UK
discussions cannot be made public as yet - a report will probably be
available in two or three months - but it does seem likely that we have
reached agreement on what does and does not constitute fair dealing in
electronic publications for academic purposes. The discussions have been
taking place between representatives of the Publishers Association and JISC,
the Joint Information Systems Committee (the funding agency for the
post-Follett Electronic Libraries Programme). Charles Clark has kept this
group informed about the European context to our discussions. We have
approached this question of fair dealing not from the point of view of "new
rights" but of practical definitions of reasonable behaviour which allow for
individual research and study without threatening the interests of publishers.
Fred Friend